Our website is supported by our users. We sometimes earn through affiliate links when you click through the affiliate links on our website.
Simple Baby Shower Recipes –
Which foods are “smart” foods? Entertain the guests at your Learning Shower with foods that are proven to improve your memory, and proven to taste delicious!
Black-Eyed Pea Crabmeat Citrus Salad
4.9 ✰ Stars
No. Of Servings
- 3 cups black-eyed peas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 quarts ham hock broth or water
- salt to taste
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh crabmeat
- 2 Seeded and diced medium red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 Seeded and diced medium yellow bell peppers
- 2 Seeded and diced medium green bell peppers
- 2 large purple onions, minced
- 6 whole scallions, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh tarragon, chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh chervil, chopped
- 8 whole ruby grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 12 fresh cilantro sprigs
Bring to a boil the ham hock broth (or water) and drained black-eyed peas. Reduce heat then simmer until peas are tender, 45 minutes to one hour. Season all the peas with a little bit of salt and pepper to taste. Drain and set aside.
Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until all fat is rendered, then remove from heat and place into another bowl with crabmeat, all the veggies, black-eyed peas, and the herbs. Mix until combined.
Place salad into a salad bowl or deep serving dish, garnishing with grapefruit slices and sprigs of cilantro.